Social and environmental responsibility
Social and environmental responsibility
The Museu Nacional takes into account the relation with the society and, in particular, with its users, the suppliers and providers, the sponsors and other museums and cultural institutions, based on a Policy of Social Responsibility (pdf - 80 Kb) and an Code of Ethics (pdf – 247 Kb), which imply the commitment towards the development of our surroundings and the responsibility towards the environment, beyond that which is laid down by the laws.
As a result, we want to include policies and management systems in economic, social and environmental fields which are satisfactory for all the stakeholders involved: society, public administrations, users and customers, other museums, collaborators, suppliers and providers, sponsors, and staff of the museum.
Our museum has obtained the certificate of Social Responsibility (IQNet SR10) and it is the first cultural and public institution of the State to obtain it. The Awarding event was held in December 2013, and counted on the participation of Christian Felber, who gave a talk about the economy for the common good (video in Spanish). To know more about our actions: The Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya and Corporate Social Responsibility (Quorum).
Apart from the general Contact form, you can also a send us your suggestions and complaints to email@example.com for topics related to Social Responsibility, and to firstname.lastname@example.org, for topics related to the Environment.
Furthermore, you will find available in the museum on the information desk the suggestions sheet and request for information, and the official claims sheet of the Generalitat de Catalunya.
All the communications will be answered as fast as we can, and depending on the complexity of the consultation, within a maximum period of 20 days.
Being responsible for the conservation and diffusion of heritage, the museum has taken on the commitment of working towards a better society, by means of an environmental policy. For this reason, we have introduced a System of Environmental Management that allows us to carry out our activity with the maximum respect for our surroundings and to minimise the impact on the environment. The Environmental Declaration includes the diagnosis and annual action plan of the museum. This system is based on environmental diffusion, the prevention of pollution and continual improvement in accordance with the ISO 14,001 Standard (achieved in July 2011) and the EMAS European Regulation (achieved in January 2012).
The national Museum is the first cultural entity in Catalonia that has put into practice an environmental plan in terms of waste. The manual of residual managment, for internal use, has as its priority, the reduction, reuse and recycling of waste in all the areas. The principles of the Environmental Declaration are based on:
- Establishing a process of continual improvement of the environmental management with the provision of the necessary resources.
- Knowing and complying with the present and future regulations and legal requirements and any others that the organisations subscribes to.
- Informing, training and carrying out awareness–building of the staff so as to incorporate criteria of sustainability in all
The commitment of the museum doesn’t end here and we also extend this task of involvement and participation of all the workers to conserve what is everyone’s to our homes and to all of you. Do you want to help us? Take down the following list of advice and apply it to your work and home.
- Segregation: Paper should be deposited, unfolded, in the containers so as to optimise the space and cost of transport. Don’t throw away paper in plastic or dirty from organic substances, or with staples, clips, or aluminium.
- Heating and cooling: Keep doors and windows closed when the air conditioning is on and regulate the thermostat to 20 ºC in the winter and 25 ºC in the summer.
- Computer equipment: Turn off the computer monitors when they are not in use and also the computers at the end of the working day. The connection to networks of ‘image’ machines (photocopiers, printers, etc.), reduces the number and makes them more efficient.
- Energy: Unplug apparatus, use low consumption light bulbs, and only turn on lights when necessary.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle!: Promote the minimisation of waste by introducing best practices: use things in good condition again and avoid single-use products. Once you have produced waste, you should collect it selectively for recycling: it will give us a new value. That why at the museum's exit there's a recollecting point to leave the leaflets and another meeting point where you can leave the sticker you have received at the entry.